Having chipped, worn down, cracked, or discolored teeth can bruise a person’s ego and keep them from smiling. Not only is this sad to think about, but research suggests that smiling more can improve mood so smiling less means fewer opportunities to improve mood. One potential treatment option for patients looking to reimagine their smiles are porcelain veneers. If porcelain veneers are something that’s been under consideration, we’ll try to cover it here with 5 FAQs and their answers about veneers.
1. What Are Veneers?
Veneers are thin shells made of tooth-colored porcelain that are custom-made and bonded to teeth that can improve their appearance. Porcelain veneers are usually made in the lab and are resistant to staining.
2. What Are the Advantages of Veneers?
Veneers can be a great option for patients with several potential advantages:
- Durability: Porcelain veneers are very durable and can last for many years. Patients can increase the longevity of their veneers by brushing and flossing regularly, receiving regular examinations, wearing a mouth guard where appropriate, and a night guard if they typically grind their teeth.
- Inconspicuousness: Current technology and materials make porcelain veneers virtually undetectable. Because they’re made from porcelain they mimic natural tooth translucency and light reflection.
- Simplicity: Patients that are a good match for veneers don't have to worry about what they eat or drink after the veneers have bonded to their teeth. Of course, a healthy diet can help preserve the longevity of veneers but special dietary restriction are not applicable.
3. When Are Veneers Appropriate?
When determining if a person is a good fit for veneers, they along with the consultation of their dentist should consider if their problems and concerns are among those that are addressed by veneers. For example, porcelain veneers can fix some common cosmetic problems, including:
- Chipped, cracked or broken teeth
- Stained teeth that don't respond to teeth whitening treatments
- Irregularly shaped teeth
- Teeth that are spaced oddly – such as being crowded or too far apart
4. How Much Do Porcelain Veneers Cost?
Porcelain veneers can range in price depending on the complexity of the veneer needed.
Contact Evolution Dental Today
If you live in Calgary, Northwest Calgary, Cochrane or other nearby areas of Alberta and would like to learn more about cosmetic dentistry treatment options, call Evolution Dental today at 403-768-2433 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kendra Schick.
*all procedures performed at our practice by a general dentist