Porcelain veneers are sometimes referred to as instant orthodontics because of their ability to transform your smile in only a few office visits. While they don’t actually reposition your teeth, veneers are used to improve the appearance of many cosmetic concerns, including some cases of crooked teeth. At Evolution Dental, we can help determine if porcelain veneers are right for you.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin, customized shells of porcelain that are securely adhered to the surface of your natural teeth. They can change the color, shape, size, and length of your teeth to improve the overall appearance of your smile.
Ideal Candidates for Dental Veneers
You may be a candidate if your teeth and gums are in good general health and you want to address cosmetic issues including:
- Crooked teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Small teeth
- Chipped teeth
- Worn teeth
A consultation is the best way to discover if you are a candidate. Dr. Schick will consider your goals for your smile as well as the overall health of your mouth to determine if this is the right procedure for you.
Advantages of Porcelain Veneers
You should consider what factors are important to you when deciding on a dental treatment. Porcelain veneers have many benefits, including that they are:
- Strong: They are very resistant to wear such as chips and hold up well against normal daily usage such as biting into firm foods. However, they are not indestructible so you should avoid chewing on hard objects like ice cubes or using them to tear open packages.
- Stain resistant: The porcelain material is stain resistant, making veneers a desirable option for long-term teeth whitening. If you don’t get veneers on every tooth, you should avoid staining foods and drinks that may cause your natural teeth to change color over time.
- Long-lasting: With proper care, veneers can last around 15 to 20 years. With regular brushing and flossing, you can extend the life of your veneers. If you neglect your oral hygiene, your natural teeth can develop problems that may interfere with your veneers.
- Natural looking: Veneers are customized to a shape and shade that will work best for you and your features. They have the ability to look very natural, yet polished. The porcelain material is not fully opaque, which can cause veneers to look fake.
- A time-saving option: Veneers are applied in as little as two visits to our office. This saves time over other procedures, such as braces, that improve your smile gradually.
- Customizable to fit your needs: It is possible to apply a veneer to one tooth or all of your teeth depending on your needs and budget. Additionally, partial veneers exist that only cover half of the front of the tooth. Dr. Schick can discuss all of your options.
Porcelain veneers can also be used to replace older veneers that may have the wrong shape for your face or an unnatural color.
Schedule a Consultation with our Calgary Dentist
If you are considering porcelain veneers, schedule a consultation today with Dr. Schick at 403-208-9965. We proudly serve patients in Northwest and Downtown Calgary as well as Cochrane, Alberta.