Teeth whitening can be an easy and effective way to enhance your smile, but not all whitening treatments are created equally. Over-the-counter whitening products and professional dental whitening treatments differ greatly. Without the counsel of an experienced dentist, you could end up with tooth sensitivity or stains that become more prominent.
The safest and quickest route to a whiter smile starts at Evolution Dental. Dr. Kendra Schick is highly trained to identify stains that won’t respond to whitening, as well as oral health issues that need to be resolved prior to a whitening treatment to ensure your comfort, safety, and optimal results. Dr. Schick offers in-office and at-home teeth whitening kits for patients as part of her caring and comprehensive dental practice.
Over-the-Counter Whitening Concerns
You can find a myriad of over-the-counter (OTC) teeth whitening products, including whitening toothpaste, mouthwashes, strips, and kits. While you may be tempted to opt for an OTC whitening product out of convenience, it is important to know the difference between OTC products and professional whitening treatments.
- Staining – Many types of stains can be addressed with whitening treatments. However, stains caused by fluorosis (over-exposure to fluoride), certain medications or health conditions, or decay can worsen or become more apparent as a result of whitening treatment.
Dr. Schick will carefully assess your oral health and stains to determine if you are a good candidate for teeth whitening. If you have stains that won’t respond to whitening, Dr. Schick may recommend porcelain veneers to brighten your smile.
- Efficacy – Clinical evidence supports the efficacy of carbamide peroxide as a whitening agent when used as prescribed by Dr. Schick. OTC whitening products and systems vary in terms of whitening agent, strength, and quality. It will likely take longer to achieve similar results with an OTC product.
- Generic – OTC whitening kits are not customized, which can have unwanted consequences. For instance, OTC whitening trays may not fit well, exposing your gums to whitening gel or delivering uneven results.
Dr. Schick makes custom whitening trays for you if you choose an at-home whitening treatment. The custom fit minimizes sensitivity or inflammation of the gums and ensures that whitening gel can cover the full surface of your teeth. It also makes for a much more comfortable experience.
Perks of Professional Teeth Whitening at Evolution Dental
Teeth whitening, when done under the care of a qualified, caring dentist like Dr. Schick, is a safe and effective way to improve the appearance of your smile. Some of the benefits of working with Dr. Schick to brighten your smile include:
- Quick results – You can have whiter teeth after a single in-office power whitening treatment. At-home whitening kits from Evolution Dental deliver results quicker than OTC whitening products, as well.
- Professional input – You can rest assured that your whitening treatment will be effective when you are under the care of Dr. Schick. She will discuss your oral health history, any tooth sensitivity issues you may have, and make sure that your teeth are in good condition to respond to the whitening treatment. You may need a professional cleaning to remove plaque and tartar prior to whitening. Additionally, existing decay or gum disease can interfere with the treatment or cause discomfort.
Call Us to Schedule your Complimentary Whitening Consultation
Find out the best teeth whitening solution for you by scheduling a free cosmetic dental consultation with Dr. Schick. You can reach our office by calling 403-208-9965. We serve patients in the greater Calgary, Alberta area.