If you have one or more teeth that have been weakened by decay or damaged in some other way, you likely will need to have a dental crown placed. A crown, also called a “tooth cap,” is a covering for your tooth that can restore strength, function, and beauty to a damaged or weakened tooth.
Traditionally, dental crowns require at least two appointments and the use of a temporary crown for a week or two. However, here at Evolution Dental, we offer CEREC same-day crowns for appropriate candidates. CEREC crowns can be custom-built right here in the office while you wait, thus negating the need for multiple appointments or temporaries.
If you are interested in having a crown placed in a single appointment, call Evolution Dental at 403-208-9965 to schedule your appointment today.
How Do CEREC Same-Day Crowns Work?
The CEREC crown creation system uses innovative CAD/CAM technology for an all-in-one solution to tooth restoration. The entire process takes only around an hour, and involves the following steps:
- Take high-quality photos of your tooth using a tiny camera
- Use these photos as a basis to design your new crown to accurately match your tooth
- Once the design is complete, a special machine creates the crown out of a block of dental ceramic
- Place the crown, making sure the fit is comfortable and accurate
- Bond the crown in place
You’ll go home after your appointment with a complete crown, and won’t need to come back again until it’s time for your regular check-up.
Benefits of CEREC Same-Day Crowns
The biggest benefit to a CEREC same-day crown is convenience. CEREC crowns are of comparable quality to lab-made crowns, but you don’t need to wait a week for the crowns to come back from the lab. Instead, we can create custom crowns using a special in-office machine. This crown can then be placed permanently, with no need for a temporary.
You may want to consider CEREC crowns if you:
- Don’t want to take time off work for two (or more) appointments
- Don’t want to deal with the discomfort of a temporary crown
- Want an immediate smile restoration
- Are going out of town and are worried about a temporary crown falling out
- Don’t want to deal with having impressions made of your tooth
While CEREC crowns lose some of the level of custom detail a lab can create, most of our patients are extremely satisfied with their quality and appearance. CEREC crowns are durable and long-lasting, and can provide a long-term solution for damaged teeth.
Caring For Dental Crowns
A nice thing about both traditional and CEREC crowns is that they don’t require much special care. You can treat them just like a normal tooth. However, to ensure that your crown lasts as long as possible, you should follow these oral care tips:
- Visit Evolution Dental every 6 months for a checkup and deep cleaning
- Brush and floss every day
- Avoid chewing sticky foods or candies with your crown – it may become loose or even dislodge
- Limit your consumption of sugary sodas or foods
Maintaining a great oral hygiene routine and limiting how much soda you drink and junk food you eat is the best way to ensure that your mouth stays healthy and your crown stays put.
Schedule Your CEREC Same-Day Crown Appointment
If you’ve been told that you need a crown, don’t hesitate to contact Evolution Dental at 403-208-9965 today to schedule your appointment to discuss CEREC crowns. We serve patients in Calgary, including Northwest, Downtown, and nearby areas of Alberta.