If you’re missing a tooth, you’re at risk for more than just a gap in your smile. Missing teeth can lead to a number of oral health problems, such as jaw deterioration, a misaligned bite, and the loss of additional teeth. Dental implants are the most effective solution to replace missing teeth because they replace your missing root as well as the tooth itself.
If you live in or near Calgary, Cochrane and other nearby areas of Alberta and would like to learn more about dental implants, please call Evolution Dental today at 403-208-9965 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kendra Schick.
What Is a Dental Implant?
Dental implants are artificial replacements for missing teeth. They are designed to look and function like natural teeth. Your natural tooth is made of a crown and a root, but a dental implants consists of three components:
- A titanium implant inserted directly into the jawbone.
- A porcelain crown or denture
- A device that connects the crown to the implant, called an abutment
A dental implant is a long-lasting biocompatible post that acts as the root of your tooth, carefully implanted into your upper or lower jaw. Surrounding bone and tissue then naturally grow around the peg, holing the implant in place, in a process called osseointegration. Not only can a dental implant be used to replace your tooth’s root, it can hold other types of restorations in place, such as dentures, bridges and crowns.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer a variety of advantages over other tooth replacement options, such as:
- Longevity: If you take proper care of your dental implant it can last for decades.
- Convenience: Caring for your dental implant is easy; you can clean it exactly like you clean your existing, natural teeth.
- No need to alter adjacent teeth: Unlike bridges and other tooth replacement options, dental implants do not require the altering of your surrounding teeth in any way.
- Bone preservation: When a tooth is lost, your jawbone at the site of your missing tooth will gradually begin to deteriorate, in a process called resorption. When dental implants are placed, the body reacts as it would with a natural tooth, preserving the bone.
Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
Dental implants are ideal tooth replacement options, but they are not appropriate for every patient or situation. Dr. Schick will assess your oral condition and make a recommendation that best suits your needs and offer alternatives to match your budget and lifestyle.
In addition to your dental well-being, your total health, comfort and safety are always top priorities at Evolution Dental. Dr. Schick will only recommend dental implants if she is confident that you have a strong likelihood for success.
Generally speaking, you may be a good candidate for dental implants if you:
- Have healthy gums: In order to protect your jawbone and surrounding teeth from becoming infected, it is important that you have healthy gums. Your gums must be able to properly heal around the implant, helping to keep it secure.
- Have adequate jawbone density: Your jaw is composed of hard and soft bone marrow. It is essential that you have enough hard bone marrow to effectively hold the implant firmly in place.
- Have sufficient jawbone: Your jawbone must be able to fit the implant. If it is not high or wide enough, a bone graft may be necessary to continue the implant process.
Contact Evolution Dental Today
If you are missing one or more teeth and want to find out if dental implants are right for you, please contact Evolution Dental today online or at 403-208-9965 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Schick. We welcome patients from Calgary, Cochrane and neighboring communities of Alberta.